Monday, May 5, 2014

89 Year Old Sister Still Doing Yard Work

May 5, 2014
Jordyn's weekly-e-mail 
Serving: Federal Way, Washington 
Companion: Sister Goble 



To be completely honest, I can't believe it's Monday again. I feel like I just wrote about my car crash and just got to Federal Way (in my mind it's still January) . . . and then I realize that this is our third week without a car. . . and I've already been in Federal Way for 4 months  My thoughts? "holy crap!" and also "we need our car back. I don't know how bike missionaries get anything done."

This week was really really fun! We played kickball last week for fhe, and my shoe only flew off once! Woo!

And I've got to throw this in here while YSA was mentioned. I love it here. Seriously, I'm so glad I got put here if only to be entertained by the singles up in Federal Way. A few examples:
-We're in our missionary coordination meeting talking about . . . well, missionary work. Sister Goble mentioned how the Relief Society is struggling from when she was here last and we need to get more of the girls active again and one of the guys in the branch goes "yeah! we need more chicks!" So our branch mission leader turns to us and the relief society president and goes "work with the sisters. It's true, we do need more chicks." Can you smell the desperation?
-We're in gospel principles on Sunday and we were talking about being the Lord's covenant people, and different covenants that we make. Baptism and ones like that had already been listed and one guy raised his hand and goes "Uh, marriage? I mean, we can't avoid the subject forever." Can you smell it now??
-We get all the drama of all the couples. When he's mad at her and she said something to him and he texted this and she told him that . . . on and on until Sister Goble and I walk out of the room with smirks on our faces thinking "Oh ysa. What are we gonna do with you?"

love it.

We got a bus pass a couple of weeks ago and decided to try it out. Sister Goble is a pro at the bus, so we were able to figure out how it all works and talked to people that we met on the bus and at the stops. We aren't allowed to actively proselyte there but the gospel came up a lot (the tag kind of gives it away). We also had/heard some really interesting conversations. The top one was definitely when Sister Goble was offered a job as a stripper and the only response she had to say was "no thanks, I'm Mormon" before the lady changed the subject and started talking about what she had experienced with Mormons before.

We did a lot of service this week. I have to say, thank you mom and dad for making me do yard work growing up (betcha never thought I'd say that!) it really came in handy, because there were people who had no clue what they were doing in a yard. We weeded on Wednesday, planted flowers and mowed a less-active's lawn on Thursday, took down wallpaper on Friday, and then later on Friday we mowed another less-actives lawn (on a sitting mower!) and also pulled out a tree stump for/with her (she's 89), and then on Saturday we weeded/mowed again. We were definitely feeling it on Sunday, but it was so worth it for the feeling you get and the look on the people's faces as well.

89 year old Sister Bernice Quick
Sister Goble & Sister VerHoef doing a day of service
Notice the chain saw in Bernice's hand..they pulled out a tree stump
WOMEN POWER!!


To top off the week the singles branch had a HUGE luau. Like, the pig was huge, and they had a dance company from somewhere in Seattle come and perform. I was really impressed with how many nonmembers and less-actives came. I hate myself for it, but I wasn't able to get any pictures because we were busy running around all night shredding pork (why they had me in the kitchen preparing food is beyond me.), serving drinks, and trying to do a New Zeland ball/rope swing thing. Let's just say, a huge lesson I learned it that I'm white.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM!!!!!! And to all the moms out there. But mostly mine. I'm excited to talk to you on Sunday :)

Love ya all!

Sister VerHoef



No comments:

Post a Comment