Monday, April 7, 2014

You get the beeeeeeest of both worlds!!


Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
April 7, 2014
Serving in Federal Way, Washington 
Companion: Sister Goble  


okay. I have more new area/transfer update and I'll just say this at the beginning: my ysa freak out was a little unnecessary. Well, it was a little necessary because I thought i was just going ysa but we actually cover three wards in federal way

-Mirror Lake (ysa)
-Hylebos
-Dash Point

which I'm really excited for! We get the fun ysa activities and stuff, but we also have family wards and get to keep working with amazing members and i still don't have to cook 100% of the time. blessings. (This is the part of the email where you put on Hannah Montana and start singing "you get the beeeeeest of both worlds!!!!")

I'm in fedway, I'm on a mission, life is good. Life is also busy since we white washed the area and opened it we literally started out with nothing. nada. Our area book was completely blank and we didn't get planners until tuesday night. We decided to meet with the bishops and relief society presidents of each of the wards to get some names of people to visit, we talk with everyone we see, and we have been putting a big focus on working with members.

and it's starting to work. We've seen some crazy miracles because of it. Here's one example:

We went and visited a member who just had heart surgery a few weeks ago and her extremely less active nephew and his nonmember girlfriend were there visiting them (we just stopped by randomly. only like 20 members know we're here). As has happened in the past, our presence seemed to spark a . . . spirited debate between the two of them but after a few minutes the conversation moved to the Book of Mormon and we asked if we could teach the restoration and then talk about it. The mood and spirit of the room completely changed. By the end of the lesson his heart seemed to be a little softened, his girlfriend seemed to be touched, they both committed to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, and we have an appointment set up to teach them next Sunday at the members home.

My testimony of member work has increased exponentially this week. Three times this week as we've gone to visit a member we've walked out with someone we can potentially work with, whether it be a less-active or a nonmember. I feel like I'm starting to understand more how crucial members are to this work because each of these people are someone we would not and could not have found on our own.

And conference was absolutely outstanding! I'm so grateful for a modern prophet. Some of my favorite quotes from this one include:

"The bumper-sticker question "What Would Jesus Do?" will not always bring a popular response" -Elder Holland

"Sometimes, it's hard being a missionary" (the whole stake center *aka all the missionaries in the room* burst out laughing at that one)

"You are infinitely more precious to God than a tree" -Elder Anderson

"Don't let the whirlwinds get you down" -Elder Anderson

"50 million people can be wrong" -Elder Nelson

"God can do more with my life than I can do on my own"-Elder Scott maybe?

"How much do we miss waiting for the rainbow before thanking God for the rain?" -President Uchtdorf

"I would have never asked for this trial, but I would never give it away"-I don't remember. missionary brain.

And many more. Conference is the greatest thing ever. It's like the Superbowl for missionaries (you only think I'm kidding).

Oh yeah, you're all gonna want to know about the new comp. Sister Goble is a budding film artist and gave up a filming career to come and serve a mission.
ok i totally lied. But she does have a blackbelt in taekwondo, long blonde hair, and a super strong testimony of this gospel. So I have an amazing companion to teach with, and will always feel safe walking around federal way. (again, start singing "you get the beeeeeest of both worlds!!!")

Love ya!
Sister Jordyn VerHoef

No comments:

Post a Comment