Monday, April 14, 2014

Because of Him‏

April 14, 2014 
Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
Serving in Federal Way, Washington 
Companion: Sister Goble 



Pre-mission thoughts: "I'll go on a mission and try and pay back a little bit of what Heavenly Father has done for me since I've been so blessed my entire life"

I've learned this week that that will never happen. Every time I turn around I see another blessing and witness another miracle and can't even keep up with how good God is. So I try to do my best, and to share with every person that I see how blessed they can be by receiving the fulness of His restored gospel. Here's a couple of miracles from this week.

Last Monday we got a referral from our zone leaders of a woman named Mary. We went over and taught her on Tuesday and she is the sweetest woman I have ever met. She has stage 4 brain cancer, but doesn't let that get her down. She loves to make people laugh and to inspire people with her experiences. We've taught her twice, and she came to church on Sunday and absolutely loved it. The ward was so welcoming and inviting, it's really hard to not feel at home. She's excited to get baptized in May :)

And then Walter. I was on an exchange on Saturday and we were walking around a complex visiting Hylebos members that we don't know (aka everyone) and were talking to people outside as well. We had a good conversation with a girl from Russia, and this really cool guy named Diamond (yes he was wearing diamond earrings, I was sure to check). As we were starting to walk back to our car, a man with some kids in a car drove by us. We waved, he drove by, we kept walking, until he honked his horn, backed up, rolled down his window and asked if our church had any good programs for youth.

Um yes??

And now the lesson I learned about why seed planting is so important: Walter told us that some missionaries helped out his son in Colorado a few years ago, and so he's always had a huge respect for our church and knew we were people he could trust when he saw our tags.

He invited us in to come and talk with him but there wasn't another woman so we weren't able to go in right then. We got his information and invited him to come to church to see what we were all about, and then he actually came to church the next day! He ended up getting up and bearing his testimony and shared a little bit of his story. The ward totally welcomed him, and our bishop had a really great conversation with him and said that he was going to reach out with his son so that Walter's grandson who is struggling will be able to feel welcomed and have a place to turn with some good friends.

Those are just a few of the many many miracles I've witnessed this week.  The members here are getting so excited to share the gospel, and some walked up to us at church yesterday telling us about people they're working with or people they want us to go visit. The work is hastening.

I had one (okay lots of) embarrassing moment this week. We were helping a less-active sister set up her new TV and thought it would be a quick thing and we would be on our merry way. 45 minutes later we had the TV on but couldn't figure out why the stupid picture wouldn't show up. We unplugged and re-plugged every single cord you could into every single hole it could possibly fit in, and I was getting incredibly annoyed because yes i am smarter than a TV. I decided to check her VHS/DVD player to see if the DVD we put in was actually playing and I noticed a little light by the VHS part and a button that would switch it over to DVD when you pressed it.

Are ya freaking kidding me??

My name is Sister VerHoef and I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, a BYU student, and I am not smarter than a fifth grader DVD player.  

I'm gonna give you all a super duper easy missionary opportunity this week. Go to Easter.mormon.org/Because of him or just mormon.org/becauseofhim and share it, tweet it, email it, pin it, hashtag it, throw it, whatever thing people are doing stuff with now. Talk about Christ, rejoice in Christ, share the good news of Christ and His atonement, and most importantly: use His Atonement.

"For behold, I, God have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink
—Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men."
-Doctrine and Covenants 19:16-19

Love ya!

Sister VerHoef

No comments:

Post a Comment