Monday, February 10, 2014

Well, there goes my 100% church attendance for 2014

Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
February 10, 2014
Serving in Federal Way, Washington
Korean Branch
Companion; Sister Choi 


This week was a pretty good one! Sister Choi and I went on an exchange Monday night/Tuesday and I left, so you know what that means?? I got to teach! It was awesome to be able to actually talk to people and have them understand what I'm saying instead of just sitting in lessons praying silently for the person that Sister Choi is teaching combined with thinking about random things that don't really matter. I've definitely come to appreciate how easy it is to both understand the gospel and teach it when you understand the language.

On Wednesday we had zone conference which was wonderful as usual. The whole thing was on the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion and teaching by the Spirit. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I could listen to President talk all day. We talked about how essential it is that the Holy Ghost is in the conversion process, and by helping people to understand that and gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon makes my job as a missionary easier because I don't have to fight every intellectual battle and answer every question anyone has. I love this story that Elder Cook told in the April 2012 conference about the role of the Holy Ghost:
"The Book of Mormon is of seminal importance. There will, of course, always be those who underestimate the significance of or even disparage this sacred book. Some have used humor. Before I served a mission, a university professor quoted Mark Twain’s statement that if you took “And it came to pass” out of the Book of Mormon, it “would have been only a pamphlet.”

A few months later, while I was serving a mission in London, England, a distinguished Oxford-educated teacher at London University, an Egyptian expert in Semitic languages, read the Book of Mormon, corresponded with President David O. McKay, and met with missionaries. He informed them he was convinced the Book of Mormon was indeed a translation of “the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians” for the periods described in the Book of Mormon. One example among many he used was the conjunctive phrase “And it came to pass,” which he said mirrored how he would translate phraseology used in ancient Semitic writings. The professor was informed that while his intellectual approach based on his profession had helped him, it was still essential to have a spiritual testimony. Through study and prayer he gained a spiritual witness and was baptized. So what one famous humorist saw as an object of ridicule, a scholar recognized as profound evidence of the truth of the Book of Mormon, which was confirmed to him by the Spirit."

Love it. There is no other way to find out the truthfulness of this gospel--or to remind yourself of it--than by asking Heavenly Father, and then listening for the quiet whispering s of the Holy Ghost who will "teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance."

We saw the sun again this week! Actually a couple of times. I've really grown to appreciate it since coming to Washington. I love the rain and the clouds (and the snow!), but I've learned to appreciate the sun more when it comes out. And because I'm that lame missionary now, I think "and that's why we have trials." We appreciate the metaphorical sun in our lives more, and remember that this too shall pass. Find the good in where you are and know that "the sun will come out tomorrow." And that the Son is always waiting with His hand held out to comfort you.

Heavenly Father is awesome. Seriously. He is determined to hasten the work despite my inadequacies (and let me tell you, I have a LOT that He has to deal with). One of the hardest things for me to do on a mission is starting a conversation with someone. Once we're talking I'm good, but me starting that initial conversation is super duper stressful for and I have unfortunately let opportunities pass me by due to me being a chicken. On with the story though. We were sitting in a salon this past week waiting to talk to one of our investigators. Sister Choi and I were talking, and there was this guy sitting near us. Totally by himself, would talk to us in a heartbeat. I started thinking to myself "we should talk to this guy. We should talk to him. I can't start a conversation. This is pathetic. I've been out 9 months. I should be able to start a conversation without stressing out by now." As I was internally debating and chastising myself, the guy goes "excuse me, what's that tag that you're wearing?"

See why Heavenly Father is so great? He's wants His children to know about the gospel so bad that He'll even use me to declare it! We ended up having a really good lesson with him and referred him to the elders that cover where he lives.

And needless to say I've been praying for more courage this past week. My goodness.

It snowed Saturday! A lot! and by a lot I mean like 3 or 4 inches. So Saturday morning we went to a relief society activity that was a cruise/paradise theme, and then that night we had to walk to a recent convert's house because our car was grounded because of snow. And then get this. church was canceled on Sunday. Because of a little snow. Did you know they could cancel church for something other than general or stake conference?? I had no idea! It was the weirdest thing to not go to church . . . especially as a missionary. But definitely a day I'll remember. All the cars were grounded so we got to walk around all day and help people out.
Everyone thought we were crazy to be outside!! Ha, they don't know I'm from Utah!! 

That's about all I have for this week though. I love you all, hope you have an amazing week, and find someone to share to gospel with. You'll love the feeling you get.

Peace!

Sister VerHoef

No comments:

Post a Comment