Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Saw The Sun Twice This Week!!

January 21,2014 
Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
Serving in Federal Way, WA
Companion: Sister Choi


Sister VerHoef meet Sister Choi
This is Sister VerHoef's new companion, Sister Choi
She is a native of South Korea and has been serving 
for 16 months.. I better hurry and learn the language!!
 Two months isn't that long to learn a new language.



Tender mercies everyone, tender mercies.

But anyway, pretty good week! It's slowly getting easier now that I'm up to 6 words and 4 sentences in Korean. I still have no idea what most of the people are saying, but Sister Choi is teaching me how to bear my testimony in Korean--I'll hopefully get that down within the next month or two.

Our English classes are going well. Getting an English-speaking call I never thought I would use that as a finding tool, but it's actually how we have most of our investigators. On the flip side, I never realized how bad my Utah accent was until I had to teach others how to pronounce words in English. There's gonna be a LOT of Koreans in Washington with Utah accents :)

The highlight of my week was definitely Sunday. I was sitting in sacrament meeting trying to figure out why I was called to serve in this branch, I had a little pity party and thought to myself, "I don't know why I'm supposed to be here. My companion's a native, I can't understand a word anyone says, Sister Dudek and I just figured out how to teach, and now I can't use anything we learned." I said a little prayer and told Heavenly Father how lonely I was feeling and just wanted someone who could understand. And a hug from my mom. (shoutout)

And then, in His always loving and gentle way, Heavenly Father retaught me one of the most valuable things I've learned during my mission. The thought came to my mind, "Jordyn, you're not alone. The Savior knows exactly how you're feeling right now. Turn to Him." I immediately felt a peace come over me. Right then I realized that while I may not speak the language, I'm here for a reason. Every change and trial in my life has made me stronger and appreciate my Savior more, and this is just one more chance to grow.

This is just a faster growth process than past ones . .  :)

And because Heavenly Father is so great, I had the biggest tender mercy of my life on Sunday night at the Recent Convert fireside we went to with a recent convert and her non-member husband.
We walked in while everyone was singing the opening song, and I looked up at the person leading the music, and it was none other than Brother Bryan! I got the biggest grin from him while he was leading.
Then I looked up at the front row to see Sister Wayne, Marcia Castro, Sister Bryan, Sister Dudek and Will Reine!! After President introduced the night and bore his testimony, my payday happened. Will got up and bore his testimony.

Oh man. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me smile, it made me feel the spirit. There is nothing more rewarding than to see the change that has happened in that man over the course of the 8 months that I've known him. He's happier, his kids are happier, their relationship is better, and they can't wait to go to the temple and be sealed together.

Love it. 

And since I couldn't have a hug from my mom, Heavenly Father said, "we'll just have her mission-mom give her a hug." So Sister Bryan came up and gave me a big hug, we talked, and she told me to keep having adventures, and that everything was going just fine in Ridgecrest.

I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows us personally, and knows exactly what will help us the most. I know He's there, I know He loves us, and I know that because He loves us, He provided a Savior who would go through everything we do and be someone who we can turn to and will say, "I know what you're going through. Let me help you." Love you all!

Any nyunghi gea sea yo!

Love,
Sister VerHoef

Line of the week:
*Brother Reine, bearing his testimony/talking about his conversion*
Will: I knew September 21st would be a special date to be baptized on. And as a matter of fact, it's the date the angel Moroni appeared to the prophet Joseph Smith in 1833 *Turns to President Eaton* Is that right? 1833? or 1820?
President: 1823--but that's alright
Will: Oh! Right! Well, what can I say; I've only been a Mormon for 4 months!
I cannot wait for the day when that man becomes a bishop.

No comments:

Post a Comment