Monday, December 30, 2013

I'llll be homeeeee next Christmas . . . youuuu can couuuunt on meeee. Unless I decide to stay in Washington.

December 30, 2013
Jordyn's Weekly e-mail 
Serving in Puyallup, WA 
Companion: Sister Dudek 

Missionary Christmas

Guess Who's Mom made her Miss BYU just a little bit!! 

Drawer Full of Candy...Going to the Elders...They eat everything! 



Oh man, it seriously doesn't feel like Christmas was this last week at all! I hope everyone had a great one, mine was definitely my favorite Christmas yet! (no offense to the family)

Christmas eve we had district meeting, visited people all day, and then had dinner with the Bushnell's. After we visited people/delivered cookies before heading over to the Murray's to say hi. We ended up getting into an intense game of apples to apples. Which I was super close to winning before Gavin ended up snatching the last green card before I could get my fifth.

bummer deal.

But that's okay. Gavin and I are still bffs

So on Christmas we got invited to brunch at the Whittingslow's and we got the most delicious breakfast I have ever had in my life! I may come back next year just to eat sister Whittingslow's food. While we were there we got to say hi to their son who is on a mission (over Skype), and then watch their daughter open her call. She's going to San Diego! Woooo!

Fun fact! On my mission I have now seen: 
-2 farewells
-1 homecoming
-1 call opening

The homecoming was definitely the weirdest/most uncomfortable one, so we won't talk about that. (p.s. the guy that came home is married now. his homecoming was in October.)

After brunch we went and saw one of our investigators, visited some other people, and then went back to the Bushnell's and Skype. Most of the people who read this email know what happened then, so we'll fast-forward to after that.

We went to go visit a less-active family and then as soon as we got there our bishop called us and said that dinner was ready so we told the family that we would be back in a few hours to visit them and then rushed off to dinner. Which was one of the funniest dinners of my life!

They got to talk about seeing their son on Skype, we talked about what happened in our Skype, and then Bishop Critchfield told a bunch of mission stories about putting laxatives in brownies, painting rabbits pink, knocking in the snow, and picking on sisters in the zone.

Elders never change. But we did get some good ideas of what we can do with the animal problem outside of our apartment . . . more details to come.

Their family gave us the best Christmas present ever!!! (after the BYU stuff and the calendar obviously) We got flashlights to see where we're going and for the creepy streets where there aren't any streetlamps, and then a golf ball to knock on doors for when it's freezing outside.

Brilliant! 

After the Critchfield's we tried to visit some more people before going back to the Zavalas and seeing how their Christmas went. I was able to redeem myself for apples to apples by beating Matthew in ping-pong, Sister Zavala made us cookies, and then we shared 1 Nephi 11 about the birth of Christ. It was really interesting to have the feeling in the house go from silly and goofy to as soon as I started reading from the book of Mormon, the whole feeling in the house changed, and the spirit was there instantly. That book is definitely a powerful one.

Thursday we taught brother Jennings,

Friday I got my future husband picked out for me (again),

Saturday I played at a baptism for one of the members sons,

and Sunday Sister Dudek and I spoke in sacrament meeting. Ahhhhh! 

It went fine though. The best part of being Mormon is that people will come up to you and tell you how much they loved what you did even if you did horrible. That and the spirit really can touch people's hearts, but mostly the first one.
So we survived speaking, and then hung out at the church for two extra hours while interviewed.Brother Jennings got   He passed, so we're officially clear for Tuesday at 8:30! 

Starting 2014 off right! 
p.s. I can't believe it's almost 2014

We had our last lesson with Brother Jennings last night and went over the plan of salvation, and he's super excited for Tuesday. I absolutely LOVE the gospel of Jesus Christ, because it creates change.

We focus a lot on change at this time of year, and we've been pondering a lot about lasting change. What's the key to keeping a resolution? How can you make it last? The key, is to let the Savior help you. There is nothing and no one too lost, too least, or too broken for him to fix.

Love you all! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Love,
Sister VerHoef

Shout out to:
DALLAS!!! CONGRATS ON YOU CALL!!!!!
And to finish off, we have our Line of the week:

We're sitting in district meeting and Elder Blaney asks Elder Dawson a question. I don't remember what the question was, but Dawson's response was the most true statement I have ever heard a missionary say:
"I don't know, I just want to survive the next two years and maybe someday get married!"
Well said Elder Dawson, well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment