Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cake, coke, and ...fried shrimp? Welcome to the Korean Branch!!

Jordyn’s weekly email 
January 28, 2014 
Serving in Federal Way, Washington 
Korean Branch 
Companion: Sister Choi 

First of all, thanks for all of the birthday wishes/packages! As much as I didn't want to turn 20, the day ended up being a really good one. It was funny, I had actually forgotten that it was my birthday until I got a call from President and Sister Eaton and they started singing to me. Haha, they're the best. We had district meeting and then after went to a recent convert's house where we had cheesecake, I got sang to again (in english), we drank coke, and then ate fried shrimp and sweet potatoes. It's probably the most random meal I've eaten in a while, but I've learned to just accept what I get here. Unless it smells questionable.

Saturday Jun got baptized! It's a funny story--He is down in Puyallup South, and my district leader was teaching him forever. He's Korean, so they turned him over to the Korean elders, then we came in, got permission from his parents in Korea for him to be baptized, he got baptized down in South Hill on Saturday, and we got to go! It was awesome--the spirit was so strong and Sister Choi and Elder Kim taught the restoration in Korean. The only words I caught were Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, and God, but you could definitely feel the spirit. I've really learned how to listen to the spirit better here since I can't actually listen to the conversation that's going on.

Sunday I played the piano in sacrament meeting. I think it went alright, to be honest I don't completely remember. But I am definitely grateful that I took lessons . . . and that my parents wouldn't let me quit when I probably wanted to a few months in. :)

Monday morning we had interviews with President. He's probably one of my favorite people to talk to; the very first thing he asked me when I went in was how I was doing in the branch (with a super concerned look on his face). We talked about what was going on, he told me how long I'm gonna be here, and then we talked about how I ended up here. It was really interesting. He told me that he was planning on picking 5 or so sisters and then looking up their missionary files to see how interested they would be in learning a language. But then he said my name came up, and he said "that's the one!" Which is interesting, because (I think I said this earlier) as soon as Elder Giles told me I was going to the Korean Branch, I had the feeling that was exactly where I needed to be. Like, when you open your mission call and read where you're going you have the feeling of "oh my gosh! I can't imagine going anywhere else than there." It's definitely been and will continue to be tough, but I know I'm exactly where the Lord wants me to be.

And then when I was talking to Sister Eaton, President came in with Sister Choi and our ZLs and gave me the charge to figure out how to teach an ESL class.

. . .  think I'm gonna call it "faking your way through teaching english classes."

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know because i have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Which is exactly why we're just gonna make it seem like I do :)

That's about all the exciting stuff--except for we went to the temple this morning!! (hence the late email) It was absolutely wonderful. I love to see the temple, I love to go inside, I love to feel the peace.

Love you all! Have an awesome week

Sister VerHoef

No comments:

Post a Comment