Monday, December 23, 2013

A Heart Full of Love‏

December 23, 2013
Jordyn's Weekly e-mail 
Serving in Puyallup, WA 
Companion: Sister Dudek 
Merry Christmas Week!! 

This is how is snows in Washington....Not very much!! 


Pre-Zone Christmas Caroling Puyallup, WA 2013
lft to rt. Sister Goaslind, Sister VerHoef, Santa, Sister Sheffer, 
Sister Babb (a mini- missionary) & Sister Dudek 


Zone...Christmas Caroling
..Sister VerHoef will have to name everyone 

First of all, skype. We're still not 100% sure what's going on, but Sister Dudek's family wants her to call at 3, so I'll probably call from someone's house at 2 Washington time (so 3 Utah time). Sorry! I don't have any more info than that. But we will talk on Christmas. Promise. 

We went caroling as a zone on Tuesday! It was really fun! We went to an assisted living place in one of the areas and sang to the seniors there who loved it!

I had a cool experience this week where I realized how different I really am as a missionary. Everyone talks about how we have a different spirit about us, and I've always brushed it off because I didn't feel it and have never been around missionaries before. On Tuesday we were talking to an investigator who has a big decision to make, and isn't sure exactly what to do. We taught her about prayer and revelation, and it was awesome to watch her understand what we were saying. She was in tears by the end of the lesson and said something along the lines of "I don't know how describe what I feel with you girls, but the best word I can use to describe it is a peaceful feeling." Cue Galations 5:22. 

It was cool though. I felt so much love for everyone recently. As I've prayed for charity more and studied it more, there hasn't been a home (member or nonmember) that I've walked out of in the past 2 months where I haven't had my heart feeling like it's about to overflow. It's a lot different than anything I've ever experienced before, but I absolutely love it. Never want to stop feeling it. 

So . . . miracle of miracles this week! We got pulled into teaching primary so for the last hour we did that. After we found Will Reins after church and gave him their Christmas present from us, and then as we were walking to find our bishop we got pulled over by Robert and his home teacher and they were like, "We're trying to plan a baptism for New Year's Eve and you need to teach three more lessons to Robert. When can you come over?" 

bjhraejlweiowernasdfmlksdafknasdfklmuhrfioedwnfvkdlijefwmoadkdincz

Yeah, I think we might be able to fit that into our schedule. 

So we taught Robert last night, and it was one of the sweetest moment of my whole mission. Get this: Sister Dudek and me teaching the commandments. Robert sitting across from us, his wife next to him supporting him 100% with this decision. Brother Bryan there as fellowship, and Robert&Lavae's home teachers there as well. Guess who they are: Brother Steck and Brother Reine!!!

Life is good out here in Puyallup. 

That's not even the best part. At the end of the lesson Brother Steck turned to Will and was like, "Brother Reine just got baptized 3 months ago. How was your conversion?" And then every missionaries d.r.e.a.m. happened after that. Brother Reine turned to Brother Jennings and said, "What you're feeling now, I was feeling 3 months ago. I used to drink like a fish, I don't miss it. I used to smoke like a chimney, I don't miss it. I used to drink coffee like it was nothing, and I just don't miss it. I'm a completely different person now that I'm baptized."

I almost cried in the middle of our lesson! To hear my recent convert testify to my investigator put me on to love-overload. 

We also had our mission christmas party this week. Just to let ya'll know, I have theee best mission president in the world! We're singing some birthday song to some elder and all of the sudden President Eaton jumps out from behind the piano playing the accordion. 

nbd. 

If I could send the video, I would. It's fantastic. 

I also played the piano for Sister Goasling who sang O Holy Night. I love being able to play for her for two reasons:
1. Gets me out of any possible singing
2. I get to reflect on the words that are being said. 

As I've been able to ponder about my Savior more this Christmas, I love the last little part of O Holy Night:

"He knows our need, to our weakness no stranger; Behold your King! . . . Truly He taught us to love one another; His law is love, and His gospel is peace. Chains shall He break, for the slave is our brother, and in His name all oppression shall cease."

I love being able to celebrate Christ's birth, but I love even more being able to testify of his life and what He has done for each of us. For me and for you. He truly does understand everything we go through, and because of him we can be free from the bondage of sin. "God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son."

I love you all! I hope you have an awesome Christmas!

Love,
Sister VerHoef

No comments:

Post a Comment