Monday, November 4, 2013

EXCITING WEEK AND GREAT NEWS!!!

Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
November 4, 2013 
Serving in Puyallap, Washington
Companion: Sister Dudek 



Hey all!  

Quite the exciting week if I do say so myself. We went on exchanges on Tuesday with our Sister Leader thing or whatever it's called (it's like a girl version of a zone leader). More importantly, her name is Sister Wolfe, and her companion, Sister Gosalind came out and partied with me in Ridgecrest (I'm forever gonna stay in this area). We went and saw a less-active Tuesday night with our ward mission leader's wife and the elder's quorum president. It was awesome! He told us more of his story, and why he wasn't active and then we talked about the restoration, and how Joseph Smith's story is still applicable to him today. Super awesome lesson, super strong spirit, and now we're gonna work on getting him to come back to church. Pray for Jerry. 

Our ward had a trunk-or-treat the day before Halloween. It was really funny--Sister Dudek and I would get two reactions toward the way we were dressed (normal missionary clothes). That we either had the best costumes, or that we didn't dress up. To appease the members, we switched our tags. So for Halloween, Sister VerHoef was Sister Dudek and Sister Dudek was Sister VerHoef. (don't worry mom, I'll send pictures of it)




So the trunk or treat was a par-tay! We went around to talk to the members, and then ended up getting our bags stuffed with candy. There were even some parents who would go, "give some of your candy to the missionaries!" So we had like 9 year old boys reaching into their well-earned supply of candy and giving it to the poor missionaries. #consecration #statesidemissions

And then Halloween was just a blast on top of that (definitely different than any other one I've had before). We met with our mission leader and then tried to stop by some people. We went to go see this less-active named Cory who we met a few weeks ago and told us to come by on Halloween to see the haunted house he and his roommate were building. We went while it was still light out, but they decided to take us through it. Now, we all know that I'm the biggest baby when it comes to haunted houses, and of course I got to go through first. We're walking through, he's telling us what's gonna be where, and I turn this corner and there's this little kid with a creepy clown mask on. Scared the tar out of me. Everyone laughed, we moved on, and around the next corner there's a teenage girl who jumps out and scares me. Naturally I screamed again, and wouldn't move until I got a promise that there wasn't gonna be any more surprises. We finally made out into the light, but I did get scared on Halloween. Just like always. 

We had dinner at a member's house after that, and then tried to see a couple more people before 7:00 hit. No one opened up, and President Eaton asked us to be inside by 7 to do weekly planning. So we planned, and partied, and ate a lot of candy. Awesome day.

While I was on exchanges, Sister Gosalind and I were going to visit one of Sister Dudek and mine's investigators. We had a car pull up next to us and it ended up being an investigator we had dropped just a few days earlier. They invited us over on Friday, so Sister Dudek and I went over planning to teach a lesson, but they had a huge buffett set out and ended up feeding us a lot of food. Right after we had just come from dinner. We hadn't been that full in a longggg time haha. 

So on Saturday we tried to get a bunch of people to commit to come to church. We had dinner at a family's house last sunday and they really want us to work with their son who's really less-active and doubting his testimony. He told us if we bought him eggnog that he would come to church, so on Saturday we showed up at his house with two half gallons of eggnog, and left with a commitment to come to church! And he did come to church! We could tell he looked really uncomfortable because he hadn't been in so long, and ended up leaving after sacrament meeting, but he was still a rockstar. He's totally coming back. 

Saturday night we saw our investigator Robert and taught him the gospel. He has a lot of sin in his past, and when we talked about once you're baptized your sins are completely washed away and you can start new in God's eyes, he was amazed. He told us that he never thought he could have those burdens lifted away and have those feelings of guilt removed. It made me so grateful for Jesus Christ and his atonement. It's so powerful, and I love being able to see people change because of it. 

By the way, Robert's getting baptized on November 30th!



So daylight savings ended on Sunday. We set our microwave and oven back an hour, but our phone never changed. So we ended up waking up at 5:30 in the morning, but didn't realize it. We thought it was 6:30, we were sitting at our desks studying at what we thought was 8, but then our phone switched to 7. We were both super confused, couldn't remember what we had done with the clocks, and then had to end up calling our zone leaders to figure out what time it was. We found out it was 7:15, so we both went and slept again until 8 haha. So we did get a little bit extra sleep, but not the way we were planning on it. 

Dad this one's for you--My ward mission leader told us that Pierce county (where Puyallup is) has some of the lowest gas prices in the country right now. There's a Safeway by my apartment where gas is $2.89! But every time I see gas prices here I think of you :) 

Mom, the weather up here isn't very cold, unless you're one of the whiney people, or my companion from California who's freezing. It's been about 50 and goes down to around 40 at night, and I've heard that it doesn't usually get much colder than that during the winter. It's pretty mellow up here except for the wind. I've seen the sun twice this week! Best moment of my life! We've had like two weeks of overcast, and then the sun popped out the other day and I saw some blue sky. It was glorious. And my asthma and allergies have been good, I just try and avoid all of the dogs up here. And oddly enough, they all seem to gravitate towards me. 

That's about it for me, hope you all have an awesome week! 

Love,
Sister VerHoef

p.s. I didn't edit--sorry!
Shoutouts this week go to:
Jeremy for his birthday!
Karli for sending me Halloween pictures
JoLynn for her banner thing
Dallas on Mission papers!!! Woot!!!
Des for first place on the crossfit competition!

Pictures that came this week: 
Huge Willow Tree they found

Sister VerHoef in front of a beautiful Fall tree 


Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
November 4, 2013
Request to be sent to her 

I just found out I can have my violin! I've actually been wanting to play it for my investigators, so that was funny that you said that in your email :) Is there any way you could send it out to me, and with my music as well? (suzuki books 7, 8, 10, the solo books that I have [by like barbra barbra i think] and my church music)

And if you know where my green ipod is can you send it as well? I just learned that we can have them out here, and I have church playlists on it! 

I love you! Thanks for writing me, and being the wonderful mom that you are :) It's been awesome to hear about your mission experiences, and whenever I meet with our Relief Society president out here I think of you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment