Monday, September 9, 2013

It POURED this week!

Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
September 9, 2013
Serving in: Puyallup, Washington 
Companion:  Sister Candice Dudek 


Well, for the first time on my mission I experienced true Washington weather: lots of rain and no sun. We had a couple days where it absolutely poured down, which was really fun to go knocking in! I got to bust out my rain boots which was exciting :)

Blessings and miracles were also poured down on us too this week. But more on that later--I think everyone wants to hear about the new comp and then I'll tell you about my 8-piece family that's on date :) :)

Let's see, on Tuesday we had transfers and Sister Kartchner got sent up to Kent (don't ask me where that is; all I know is Puyallup and how to get to Tacoma). But I also got a new companion named Sister Dudek. My mom sent me a list of of information that she wants about her so here you go:


  • name: Candice Dudek
  • from: Some small town near Fresno, California (Visalia I think)
  • hair color: blonde
  • yes she has a family
  • no she's not training me
  • no i'm not training her


She's been out exactly 2 months longer than me so we're just a normal companionship. She's from the Seattle mission, but she's not the crazy robot-nazi I was expecting to get which is nice. Actually, most of the Seattle missionaries that I've met have been pretty nice. Only 3 or 4 have been crazy robot-nazis (I think that will make more sense when I get home and explain it).

Let's see, both of us came from companionships where our companion wouldn't let us talk a whole lot, so we're both working on talking more during lessons and teaching together. It's been really fun to do that and actually get to say things other than the Joseph Smith story.

The funniest part about all of this, is that Sister Kartchner is companions with Sister Dudek's old companion. They just swapped places!

Heavenly Father is hilarious.

But on to investigator news (aka what happened with the Reine's this week):

We taught them the restoration on Thursday at our Ward Mission Leader's house and it went

b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.

We were super nervous before hand because we've always had someone else to be able to talk the majority of the time, but we prayed, and prayed, and prayed, and everything went fine. And to top off the evening . . .
we have six people ready to be baptized on September 21, 2013.

peace and blessings.

We also had some awkward knocking experiences! I don't feel like they're ever funny when I write them down, but they're in my journal so I can tell you when I get home in 14 months.

Oh my gosh. Speaking of 14 months, I realized this week that it's September. Which means that I hit 4 months, and then it'll be October and I'll hit 5 months, then it will be Halloween, and then it'll be November and i'll hit 6 months, and then it'll be Thanksgiving, and then it'll be December and i'll hit 7 months, and then it'll be Christmas  and then it'll be January and i'll hit 8 months and then i'll turn 20 (ew) and then it'll be February and i'll be at my halfway mark.

And then I stopped thinking because that really freaks me out. Like a lot.

Time is so weird as a missionary.

I also spilled hot chocolate on my scriptures this week. I've been studying the Pearl of Great Price, so now every time I open up to the end of Abraham/Joseph Smith-Matthew I get a nice whiff of chocolate.

and who ever said that the scriptures weren't sweet?

Fortunately, it wasn't a huge spill, so I was able to clean it up pretty quickly and blow dry it right away. And now I have a wavy pogp, so I'll never forget where it is :)

Sister Dudek and I have also started coming up with a #sistermissionaryprobs list. It's getting pretty long, and it's been like 3 days, so by the end of the transfer we're gonna have a goooood list.

My allergies are good; except for when I go into houses with dogs but that's to be expected. The only bummer deal is that everyone has dogs up here.

We had stake conference yesterday. It was actually a regional conference for Alaska and Washington, which means that we got to listen to Elder Nash, Sister McConkie, Elder Hales, and Elder Perry. It was an absolutely wonderful broadcast!

And I can't leave without an awkward moment. For stake conference we sat by the Reine's, who just so happened to be seated in the second row in the chapel (never in my life have I sat up that close during stake conference) but when our stake president was talking/testifying at the end he had all the missionaries stand up for a minute.

and we were on the second row.

I am never sitting up there again.

That's about all I can think for this week. The church is true, I can promise that. I wouldn't be out here doing this if I didn't know it.

I hope everyone has an awesome week! And stay classy san diego.

Love,
Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment