Monday, August 19, 2013

Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
August 19, 2013
Serving in Puyallup
Companion: Sister Kartchner 


We taught Annette about the temple this week. Because everything likes to work against us [stupid Satan], it's closed for cleaning for the next two weeks. And it opens like three days before they move. I'm determined to get her in there before she leaves.

Pray for a miracle.

We taught a kid named Eric on Tuesday night. This is actually a really cool story; We've been trying to teach him for like 3 weeks now but nothing has been working out. 

Do you know how you get songs stuck in your head? Well, on my mission I get scriptures stuck in my head and for like the past 2 weeks I've had D&C 101:16 running through my head allthefreakingtime. 

"Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God."

I think my entire mission is going to be one. giant. patience lesson. [idon'twanttobestilldanget!] If I had my way, this entire area would already be baptized. Unfortunately, people have this annoying thing called agency. And fortunately, God knows more than I do and has a better plan than mine. 

So sister k and I decided that we were just gonna trust God's plan with Eric and we were just gonna be still and wait for him to come to us. annnnd, last Sunday . . . 

ERIC CAME UP TO US!!!!He asked if we could teach him so we went to the church Tuesday at 7. 

No show. 

Both of us just had the feeling to wait for a little while longer and he ended up showing up at like 7:35! i guess he fell asleep or something. 

but he showed!!!

We went and sat down and were about to start teaching when he said, "before you say whatever you were gonna say, I have some questions first." Our entire lesson ended up as us just answering his questions--which were really good, but also really hard. And he's done some studying up already because he asked about my least favorite topic and something that you neverrrrr bring up with an investigator. 

Kolob. 

It ended up being fine though. We just told him that there is a kolob, but we don't know very much about it. And it's also not that pertinent to our salvation.

Missionary work is full of miracles. love it.

We also had zone conference on Wednesday, which was absolutely wonderful! We learned about:
-observing, listening, and then talking
-talking with [not at] everyone
-back pain
-stress and anxiety management
-how to love people better
-alma 38:12. not being overbearing, not being idle, and being just bold enough.
-a lot of other things that i can't remember because i don't have my journal with me but were still just as awesome

It was an awesome meeting. President was a lawyer for a while so he's a really good speaker but then he decided that what he really wanted to do was teach so he became an institute teacher. he's an awesome teacher and I always learn so much every single time I talk to him. 

It was kind of a boring week otherwise. We did a lot of knocking, found some potentials, and met some really cool people. 

Yesterday we had dinner at a member's house. It was your typical missionary dinner: polite conversation at the table, followed by a message by yours truly. Then one of the member's brought out his long-board and started to teach Sister Kartchner how to do it. I was inside with the rest of the family laughing at her through the window. Then she started to get farther away, so I went outside so we could be within sight and sound of each other, and John and Tiffany started to try to get me to do it. I said no because I knew I would look like an idiot, but they kept trying to get me to do it. I said that we needed to go have a prayer so we went inside and talked for a few more minutes. Then Sister Kartchner said the prayer and part of it went something like this:

"And please bless Sister VerHoef that she will have the courage to ride the long-board and that she won't get hurt when she does."

dang comp.

Haha, after the prayer John came up to me and was like, "you have to ride it now!" I asked him why and he said that his faith would diminish because sister Kartchner prayed that I would get on the board.

you sneaky little 15 year old.

nevertheless, i got on the board. can't have John dropping out of church because sister V wouldn't look like an idiot trying to stand on a long-board. 

fortunately, there's only one picture of it. and no videos.



And I actually rode it! My arms were flailing the entire time and John had to stand by me the entire time because he thought i was pretty likely to fall [which is a very safe assumption], but I didn't! 


Jordyn

Shoutouts this week go to:
Kendrick for being born1
(i just noticed--our family has a crap ton of birthdays during the summer)
My mom and Jo for emailing me! 
{that would be a notsosubtle guilt trip on the rest of the fam}

No comments:

Post a Comment