Monday, August 12, 2013

Baptismmmmm!‏

Jordyn's weekly e-mail 
August 12, 2013
Serving in Puyallup
Companion: Sister Kartchner 
1st Baptism Saturday August 10, 2013



his was an AWESOME week. 

On Monday night we went and taught Annette the word of wisdom which went well. I've never actually taught that, and it was a lot easier to teach than I thought it would be. 

We had zone meeting on Tuesday--don't worry--Elder Gordon didn't make me ask out another elder this time. :) We talked about the anatomy of conversion and related different body parts to different aspects of conversion that investigators need to go through. Then we talked about the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion and how we can better teach by the Spirit. I don't know if I've ever told you this, but I absolutely HATE role playing. I think it's awkward, and I am absolutely awful at it. But I always end up being forced to do it at district and zone meetings, and I ended up having a really cool experience with one of the new sisters in the zone. 

Moral of the story is: role playing=awkward if you're me, but they're really helpful. To all you future missionaries: DO THEM.

On Wednesday we taught Annette the law of chastity and the 10 commandments. I've never had to teach chastity either, and it was definitely interesting to teach to a 12 year old haha. Every time the word sex was said she would freak out, and cover her ears. :) We also talked about how you should dress modestly and her mom started going off about how you need to have high shirts and you shouldn't show any cleavage, and then looked down and realized that she was doing exactly that. Ha ha, so she started freaking out and felt absolutely horrible about it, and when we saw them the next day she said that after we left she went and changed into something modest :) I love this family so much. 

We also went over the 10 commandments, and I taught them the little sign language way to remember it that I learned in seminary. Another moral of the story: Seminary is surprisingly helpful. Go. And actually pay attention. 

We had a little scare on Wednesday night when we called to schedule the building and found out that our ward building was booked when we had the baptism scheduled. Fortunately, our stake center is only about a mile away so we were able to get that. God wants these baptisms to happen more than the missionaries do!

We went over to Annette's (again) on Thursday morning to teach her the gospel and finish up with the commandments (we still had to teach tithing). We went over them and Annette's friend named Jonathan had been sitting in on a couple of lessons and he decided that he wants to be baptized too! We're gonna start teaching him soon and hopefully get him dunked on the 31st of this month. 

We went back to our apartment and had our weekly, and then went back to Annette's for her interview. We met up with our DL, and Annette was super duper nervous. Because she's only 12 her mom was in the interview too and they told us later that Jamie ended up giving most of the answers because Annette was so nervous. Poor girl! She was beyond excited when she passed though! 

Nothing really happened on Friday, and Saturday was the big day! We got to the stake center at 7 and started filling the font and setting up chairs for the baptism. Then we finished getting ready, and at 9 I got a call from Jamie saying that her husband wasn't gonna come because he was sick, and they didn't have a ride to the baptism. Really Satan? Sister Kartchner had a little panic attack when I told her, but we managed to get them a ride, and they were there for the baptism! 
We had also been struggling to find someone to baptize Annette because it seemed like our entire ward was busy that day. After Annette's interview Maxwell asked us who was baptizing her, I said we don't know, and then Jamie asked if missionaries could baptize people. We said the sisters couldn't, but if they wanted to the elders could. Jamie and Annette really liked Maxwell, so he was the one who actually ended up baptizing her. We celebrated after, and then Sister Krotchner got super sick, and ended up having to lay down for a little bit. Poor girl has a UTI :(

Sad news! Annette and her family are moving! I feel like that happens to every single one of my investigators. I'm super sad about it, but I'm really excited for them--it should be an awesome thing for their family since they're gonna be around her husband's family and they're really close to the church so they won't have any excuses not to go :)

On Sunday we had ward council, church, Annette got confirmed during sacrament meeting, then we went knocking. Around 8pm we knocked into a lady named Mary who had recently lost her father. We talked a little about the plan of salvation and left her with a Book of Mormon and I marked Alma 40 for her to read. Seriously, how do people survive not knowing about the pos? I would be so lost without it. We're going back next Saturday to talk to her more. 

Well, I only have a few minutes left and I still need to figure out what to email my president. I hope everyone has an awesome week!

Love,
Jordyn

Shout-outs this week go to:
My parents! Congrats on 21 years :)
JoLynn! Congrats on exiting the womb 17 years ago!
Mike for getting a new job!

No comments:

Post a Comment