Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Betcha Thought I Forgot to Write You Yesterday Huh??‏

Jordyn's weekly e-mail
July 23, 2013
Serving in Puyallap, WA.
Companion: Sister Kartchner



Don't worry, I didn't forget any of you yesterday. President Eaton changed our P-day to Tuesday this week because of transfers, but it'll go back to Monday next week. And speaking of, I know at least my family is dying to know what's going on with me so drum roll please . . . 

I'M STAYING!!!!!

I'll be in the Ridgecrest area for another six weeks at least, and I couldn't be more excited! They're really starting to get excited about missionary work, and are bringing people to us to teach! There are days when Sister Kartchner and I honestly don't have time to knock doors--which is sad because I love doing it, but awesome because that means I'm teaching people. 

Weird thing about this transfer, there are actually only four people in my zone that are leaving. Two elders are leaving an area and sisters are coming in (weird!) to open a new area. Then two other elders from two different areas are leaving too. One of them is Elder Peay, and he's probably the one I'll miss the most. We fight about the weather a lot, meaning he prays for -40 and I pray for 80 degrees. Haha, I've been winning because these past weeks have had awesome weather :) Go faith! 

So we decided to drop Julius. We haven't been able to talk to him since we put him on date because his girlfriend's uncle died or something. He also told us that we knocked into him at his parents house and that he actually lives in Tacoma (!), so we're gonna hand him off to the missionaries there so they can learn as a family. 

We didn't get to meet with Gramma Dawn this week :( She was in Spanaway when we called her on Wednesday, and we haven't been able to get a hold of her since then. 

Joe is doing well! He came to church on Sunday! We met with him on Friday afternoon and he actually tried to drop us but he realized that he is just freaked out, so we're gonna keep meeting with him. On Friday he said that he would come to church, but we may have to just come and get him to go and he said to just knock on his door. We said we weren't afraid to knock on doors (I don't think he realizes just how many doors we knock on) and that we would be there. So we knocked on his door Sunday Morning, he looked totally surprised, but he showed up at the building at 11:30 :) He only came to sacrament meeting . . . but it's progress!

Our WML had us go and visit some less-actives Saturday morning so we took a laurel in our ward and went and did that. We knocked into a family and invited them back to church, and the mom said yes! She said that she's been feeling like she needs to start going back to church anyway :) We talked for a while, and then left. They have a 12 year-old daughter who was interested in girls camp, so we went over later on Saturday with the beehive advisor to give them some more info about it. We were talking about that, talking about church, and then decided to give them a church tour. We went over to the ward building, gave the tour, and then asked the daughter (Annette) if she wanted to be baptized, and she said yes! We're working for August 17 with her. 

I got a call from my DL while we were talking to less-actives and he said that there was a less-active member named Michael in the complex that we were at who was wanting to come back to church. Naturally, we went to see him and we talked to him for a while, and got him a ride for Sunday.

So sacrament meeting, was probably the funniest one I've been to in a LONG time. The Webbers came, Joe came, and then Michael came with his daughter. The Webbers sat in the back, the comp and I sat in the middle with Joe, and Michael sat in front of us with a couple in our ward. Michael's daughter was yelling to the wife for almost the entire meeting, pulling on her earrings asking where she got them, why her face was so red, was she blushing, and then asked her why she doesn't wear lipstick and if it's because her husband doesn't like it. I was DYING laughing! I couldn't do anything because I was laughing so hard, Sister Kartchner kept trying to quiet her since her dad wasn't doing anything, Mackenzie's husband was dying laughing as well, and poor Mackenzie (who is super sweet and super duper shy), just got redder and redder because she was so embarrassed. 

We also had little five year-old Richard wanting me to color with him in the row behind him, and Joe in our row wondering what the heck is going on and if church is always like this. Gotta love being a missionary :)

And that was just sacrament meeting. 

The rest of church was just as exhausting. Between making sure everyone was going to the right place with the right people I don't think I've ever had a more exhausting three hour block of meetings. 

And I wouldn't change that for anything. I was definitely exhausted by the time church was over, but it was the good kind where it's because you know you've worked hard. I love missionary work!

I totally almost forgot--we had interviews with President and Sister Eaton this week! We went Thursday afternoon and I went in with Sister Eaton first. It was really good, we talked a lot about the scriptures, and she was just seeing how I was doing. Then I went  in with president, and he asked a few questions to get to know me and how I feel like I can become a better missionary. Then he asked if I had any questions. [Side note: I've been writing down questions during morning study that I haven't been able to come up with answers to] Naturally, I pulled out my list and we went through the whole thing :) I would ask, he would answer, and then I would feel bad that I had so many questions but he told me to keep going so he answered all of them! (I think there were like 10 or 15:) But he said that he appreciated my inquisitive mind, and to never be afraid to ask questions :)

I love you all, and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love, 
Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment