Monday, June 3, 2013

First Official Letter Home Dated June 3, 2013

Jordyn's weekly e-mail
June 03, 2013
MTC, Provo Ut.


News time! I flew into Tacoma (technically Seattle) on Tuesday the 28th, and got to the mission office. We had a lunch, orientation, got new companions, and then I got news along with five other missionaries that flew out with me. I am being transferred to the new Federal Way mission. I kind of had a hard time with it at first, but now I'm super excited! And when I did my mission papers, I told my bishop and stake president that I would go wherever the Lord wanted me to. Wa-Fed here I come! . . . in July!
 
My playing at the MTC went really well. I played the violin with Sister Allred (the violin got fixed thank goodness), Elder Oliphant played the cello, and Elder Jones played the piano. Everyone said we did good, so I'm crossing my fingers that we actually did.
 
I really appreciate emails, and they definitely get here faster, but letters are probably best because I only have an hour on the computer once a week(Monday is my P-day). But whatever works best for people, I just like hearing from everyone.
 
Washington is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Oh my gosh, the first day we got here we went to Puget Sound, and the trees, and the water, oh my gosh. Breathtaking.
 
We went knocking the first night! I thought I was gonna be nervous, but most people just shut the door once they see the tag. Haha, rejection has never felt so good. We also go knocking every day from 5-7 pm (our mission so cleverly named them 5-7s) and it has been an awesome experience! I guess that tracting accounts for 60% of the mission's baptisms. Go missionary work! The ward I'm in seems cool, the people are super friendly, and I have made one meal so far because everyone keeps feeding us. :)
 
Both of the sisters in my area before me were transferred out (I guess one went home because she was so sick) so my companion and I are both new to the area and are trying to figure things out. We've been trying to get a hold of the investigators, but no one is answering. We're gonna go knock on their doors this week, and see what's been going on.
 
Investigator time?
Jennifer: Has four kids (who are absolutely adorable!), and is in a really bad situation. Like, it would take me twenty minutes just to type it all out. It's crazy to hear all of these hardships that people are going through, but what I have to share with them will help them! It's awesome to already see the change the gospel has made in her life. And her kids can't say my name, so they call me Sister V. And then they make a V with their fingers. Adorable.
 
Trish and Vernice: We met them tracting, and they were super excited to see young people out talking about God (when I say young, she thought I was a sophomore in high school. I'm in college thank you very much). We talked with them a lot about the Bible, I asked them to come to church with us on Sunday, they said they might, and we asked if we could come over on Thursday to tell them a little more about the gospel. They said yes, and Trish asked us to tell her more about Joseph Smith, and how he and Christ's Church are related. WHAT?! Of course we will Trish, of course we will.
 
Andie: Oh Andie. She has been investigating the church since 2009. She's doesn't seem like she's progressing, so my companion and I are going to visit with her a couple more times and see if she'll keep our commitments and set a baptismal date, but if not we're unfortunately going to have to drop her. I only have eighteen months out here, I'm not gonna waste my time with someone who's not interested. And my Zone Leader told me something that President Weaver told him. He said that finding the elect is more important than convincing the others. I'm here to find the elect.
Her husband is also investigating the church (we haven't met him yet), but I guess he has a big problem with Joseph Smith, and the Prophet today (but he loves watching general conference . . . ) and looks up a ton of anti-mormonism stuff online. Really? I think I see his problem.
 
We also met these kids the other day. They told us that their dad is looking for a church, and then they kind of told us what he was looking for. Guess which church they described? The catholic church. Haha, just kidding (this is honestly how I amuse myself out here). They described The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! They seemed super interested, but they wanted to get their dad's permission first. We're gonna go back there this week and see if we can talk to him.
 
I've gotta hurry, but I will definitely write more next week . . . I forgot my journal this morning and I don't want to go back and get it.
 
And pictures. My companion told me about some website that I can do to put my pictures on but I don't have time to do it right now. Next week for sure, I promise!
 
And you can send letters and packages to my apartment . . . I'll be here through all of June for sure.
 
Sister Jordyn VerHoef
13011 Meridian E #C105
Puyallup, Washington 98373
 
Love you all!
Jordyn (AKA Sister Jordyn)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment